Saturday, February 9, 2008

Smash Brothers Delayed and PS3 for me?!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl has been delayed yet again. March 9th stands as the next release date. They think this time its for sure! The game looks to be in very good shape though. I don't expect most people will be disappointed. But if they remove Ness. Well there will be hell to pay.

I played the PS3 for the first time recently. I was impressed by the graphical power. But thats all that impressed me. The user interface was disappointing. It was slow, cumbersome at times and most of all plain. I could have ignored the fact that it sometimes took up to a minute to load just WHO had user accounts, if I had something pretty to look at. And that is just me trying to give the PS3 some points. Then I played a few games. The first being Assassin's Creed.

Disappointing. It seems to be a recurring theme with the system.

The graphics were definitely pretty. It was organic and fluid. It was almost natural. The sound was stunning. It was crisp clear and very easily discernible. But that's it. Again. That's it. The game was repetitive and easy. The combat was bland.

I could turn this post into a review of Assassin's Creed but I wouldn't fill very much space. The game doesn't deserve a space in your game library unless you get it free when you buy a GOOD game or if it is REALLY REALLY cheap. Somewhere in the 5-10 dollar range. It isn't really worth a new buy, or even a semi-used price. Its a rental.

The game is repetitive, the story is predictable, the game mechanics rehashed. Though I will admit, for the first two hours exploring was a kick ass time, but as interesting things and challenges washed away so did my interest. When climbing is essentially the same task over and over it isn't interesting. It's annoying. I actually managed to find nearly all the flags in my first play through. Then I went online to see how long it normally takes (because I expected a much shorter time for people) and yeah I did it as fast as most speed players were on most message boards. I'm not an above average player people. In some games, sure I excel, (who doesn't?) but to me thats ridiculous. I wasn't a dedicated player of this game. So either these people really sucked, or I was just that good. But I postulated a third answer: The game just wasn't very good at hiding stuff and some people get so wrapped up in what they are doing in game, that they miss items. Which I won't hold against them if they are still marveling at the pretty pretty game. It sure is pretty. But it's empty beauty and what is the point of that?

The Combat system was what I was very excited to see. I know this game is about stealth, but if the combat isn't very good when you DO have to fight, what the hell are you supposed to do for fun? Climb?! No way man. That's not interesting. That is why the first Spider-Man movie game blew straight out the ass. It was boring to climb over and over. The second one however did a good job. It changed the whole system around so that climbing was a means to an end, namely the most fun webslinging available to non-webslingers. It was repetitive. Getting annoying yet? Play the game and feel the annoyance for yourself.

The Graphics Pretty. The Sound Great. The game? Rent it.

I have yet to play Uncharted waters, but I will. The next game on the PS3 I will be playing? Ninja Gaiden...Sigma? Whatever the hundredth rerelease of the same damn game is called. Apparently this is a worthwhile game to buy, or so I'm told. However it seems to me that a majority of the folks who'd buy this game, already OWN the older versions. All of them.

Stay tuned!

No comments: